Oratory of the Virgin with Child

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, 19th C in Flumet
  • A hut-like oratory, with white rendered walls and four-sided metal roof topped with a metal cross.

  • There are 6 steps to enter the building ; on the right a stone font and large recessed semi-circular alcove with stone coving that is dated 1896 and protected by a magnificent wrought-iron grill ; in the recess, a small cross inscribed with the letters “18JMON 98” (probably referring to Jean-Marie Ouvrier Neyret 1898). Inside, on the altar covered with a white rug, stands a large (1 m) statue of a crowned Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus on her right arm and clothed in a pale blue and gold...
    There are 6 steps to enter the building ; on the right a stone font and large recessed semi-circular alcove with stone coving that is dated 1896 and protected by a magnificent wrought-iron grill ; in the recess, a small cross inscribed with the letters “18JMON 98” (probably referring to Jean-Marie Ouvrier Neyret 1898). Inside, on the altar covered with a white rug, stands a large (1 m) statue of a crowned Virgin Mary holding the baby Jesus on her right arm and clothed in a pale blue and gold gown ; on the left, there is a statue of the Sacred Heart and on the right, a statue of St Joseph (50 cm); 4 metal candle holders, a wooden Christ on the Cross, 4 pictures including one of St Mark and a plaque that says: “On 12/05/1789 Monseigneur Paget granted 40 indulgences to anyone passing in front of the former, now-ruined, oratory, who recites a Pater, an Ave or an act of contrition”. Monseigneur Isoard granted the same indulgences, with the same conditions, on 28/07/1900 for people passing in front of the new oratory, built in 1896.
  • Environment
    • Forest location
    • Mountain location
    • Isolated
Openings
Openings
  • All year 2024
    Open Everyday
Close